IMPORTANT PLEASE READ: The Font is a Bouldering only facility, a form of free climbing that is performed on 15 ft. walls without the use of ropes or harnesses. It is a potentially high risk sport. Please note, we do not offer roped climbing or a dedicated Children’s area.
We therefore have strict policies to ensure everyone coming to the centre is as safe as possible. Under 18’s must attend with an experienced climbing supervisor or be booked on to a coached session with a member of The Font’s coaching team.
NOTE: Due to COVID-19 restrictions on group activities, our coaching sessions are limited in size and frequency so please book as far in advance as possible. We will have significantly more capacity to get new climbers on the wall as soon as these restrictions relax.
We welcome kids of all ages but due to the high risk nature of the sport, we ask that you read the information below before attending the Centre in order to understand the requirements for each age group:
- Kids under 4 years can attend the centre but are not permitted in the climbing or gym area. 1:1 parent/guardian to child supervision is required at all times. This means if the adult supervisor wants to climb, there must be a second adult to supervise the child.
- Kids aged 4-7 years are permitted to use the climbing wall with parent/guardian who is a competent climber, and there must be 1:1 parent/guardian to child supervision at all times. Kids within this age group are not permitted within the gym area.
- Kids aged 8 to 13 years can attend one of our coached sessions or attend under the supervision of a parent/guardian who is a competent climber at a ratio of 2:1. Kids within this age group are notpermitted within the gym area.
- Those aged 14-16 years can
- Attend our coached sessions
- Attend under the supervision of a parent/guardian who is a competent climber at a ratio of 2:1
- Take our Junior Test which (if passed) will enable them to climb unsupervised
- Note: This age group is permitted within the gym only under the supervision of one of our coaches or a Personal Trainer.
- Those aged 16-18 years old are permitted to use the centre (both climbing and gym area) with:
- A competent climber supervisor at a ratio of 2:1
- Permission from a parent/guardian who is a competent climber, provided in person on their first visit.
- Attendance of one of our Intro to Bouldering courses
All juniors must be connected to a registered parent/legal guardian account in our system. To do this please follow the registration steps out lined on our homepage to create your own profile and when completing your Liability Waiver please select the ‘Adult and Junior(s)’ template. This will allow you to complete your own waiver and at the bottom add on any junior(s) required.
Juniors over 13 years of age
can create their own account online if desired, using their own email address not their parents/legal guardians. This will allow them to book their own classes online. They do not require their own waiver, as they must feature in their parent/legal guardians’ waiver.
Juniors under 13 years of age
cannot have their own online account. You can add them onto your account by logging in with your details via the The Font Climbing - Online Store & Scheduler
. This will enable you to book climbing slots and classes for them once these are available. Steps to do this:
- “Sign-in”using your previously set up account details
- Click on the “My Info” tab
- Using the “Family Members” section on the right please click “Add Family Member”
- Please remove your email address and fill in the other details required, click “Save”
- They can be added to our system manually by a member of The Font crew on your first visit to the centre
Whether you’re climbing with your kids or just looking to supervise them, you will need to be a competent and experienced boulderer. If you are not yet at that stage, then we recommend booking onto one of our Introduction to Bouldering coached sessions or Family Bouldering Coached sessions before attending with your kids.
If you’re already a competent and experienced boulderer, we’d still recommend that you book onto one of our family sessions when available. We will introduce you and your kids to The Font in a fun session that is full of great tips when climbing with kids. But, if you do want to just rock up and climb casually then you will be able to do so once the registration process is complete.